VS1063 is a pin-compatible alternative for VLSI Solution’s VS1053. It has all the functionality of VS1053 (except MP1 and MIDI decoding) and many new features, particularly MP3 and Ogg Vorbis recording.
It contains a high-performance, proprietary low-power DSP processor core VS DSP4, ROM memories, 16 kB instruction RAM and upto 80 kB data RAM for user applications, serial control and input data interfaces, upto 12 general purpose I/O pins, an UART, as well as a high-quality variable-sample-rate stereo ADC and stereo DAC, followed by an earphone amplifier and a common voltage buffer.
VS1063 operates in one of two host modes: As a slave co-processor or as a standalone processor.
When used as a slave co-processor VS1063 can operate in three different operation modes: Decoder, encoder or codec mode. In decoder mode VS1063 receives its input bitstream through a serial input bus. The input stream is decoded and passed through an 18-bit digital volume control to an oversampling sigma-delta DAC. Decoding is controlled via a serial control bus. In addition to the basic decoding, it is possible to add application specific features, like DSP effects, to the user RAM memory, or even to load user applications. In encoder mode VS1063 can reads audio from its analog inputs, optionally compresses the data, which can then be read by the host processor. In codec mode VS1063 offers a full-duplex audio interface.
When used as a standalone processor, the VS1063 can boot either from SPI EEPROM or FLASH memory. Alternatively code and data can be provided by a host controller.
Users can write their own user interface or signal processing code for the VS1063 using VSIDE (VLSI Solution’s Integrated Development Environment).
Unit price of VS1063 includes MP3 decoding and encoding license of Technicolor. Customers who use WMA need to contact Microsoft. Customers who use AAC feature must contact Via Licensing for MPEG-4 ACC license.
- Encoders: MP3; Ogg Vorbis; PCM; IMA ADPCM; G.711 (μ-law, A-law); G.722 ADPCM
- Decoders: MP3 (MPEG 1 & 2 audio layer III (CBR+VBR +ABR)); MP2 (layer II) (optional); MPEG4 / 2 AAC-LC(+PNS), HE-AAC v2 (Level 3) (SBR + PS); Ogg Vorbis; FLAC; WMA 4.0/4.1/7/8/9 all profiles (5-384 kbps); WAV (PCM, IMA ADPCM, G.711 μ-law/A-law, G.722 ADPCM)
- Full Duplex Codecs with optional AEC: PCM; G.711 (μ-law, A-law); G.722 ADPCM; IMA ADPCM
- Streaming support
- Up to 96 KiB RAM for user code / data
- Unique ID for user code protection
- Quiet power-on and power-off
- I2S output interface for external DAC
- Serial control and data interfaces
- Can be used either as a slave co-processor or as a standalone processor
- UART for debugging purposes
- New functions may be added with software and up to 12 GPIO pins